Sam's Space

Random thoughts and experiences about navigating life in New York City.

Saturday, June 18, 2005

One Satisfied Customer

Today I made my first purchase at J. Crew. I typically don't spend a lot on clothing and I guess price and style always swayed me away from the store. Out of sheer laziness (I had been walking all around the east side and really just wanted to walk across town and go home instead of walking to 34th St. to buy the father's day gift I needed for tomorrow) I decided to see if I could get my dad a shirt in J. Crew since it was on the way home.

I had instructions from my step mom that my dad could always use shirts but that they need to have a pocket for his glasses-- size M. Since polos are the in thing right now, I figured J. Crew had to have polo shirts. Lucky for me I found very soft polo shirts with pockets in a variety of colors. I chose the one I wanted and went to pay. That's when things got interesting.

I asked for a gift receipt and a box. And the little blond woman behind the counter worked her magic. She perfectly folded the shirt. Took off the price part of the tag. Did the most fabulous tissue paper job I have ever seen. Added the little J. Crew sticker. All the while I sat there in amazement that she was doing all the hard work for me. Then she takes the gift receipt and folds it into a little J. Crew envelope and places the enveloped in the fold of the tissue paper. Then she put the shirt in the box and the box in a bag and I was on my way.

I love to wrap, but I hate to prep clothing for wrapping. It's so time consuming and never comes out as perfect as I want it to. I guess I don't shop at nice enough stores, because I've never had someone do so much work for one little purchase. She even chased after me when I forgot my receipt!

I just may be doing a lot more shopping, or at the very least gift shopping, at J. Crew in the future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home