Sam's Space

Random thoughts and experiences about navigating life in New York City.

Saturday, June 18, 2005

Where have all the good guys gone?

Disclaimer: I know there's a handful of guys reading my blog, so try not to take too much of this personally. I don't want to make generalizations or be stereotypical but when you have an evening like I did, it's hard not to.
___________________________________________________________________

Last night, over the course of only three hours, I heard about or witnessed three different situations that left me angry, shocked and more convinced than ever that I'll never find a really great guy whom I can trust and spend the rest of my life, or even night, with.

First I was talking to a girl who I had just met and somehow we ventured into the topic of dating in NYC. She told me about a recent date she had. Everything was going well...dinner, extended into drinks and suddenly it's pretty late on week night. Then while enjoying one another's company at a bar the guy started checking out this other blonde woman. She tried not to notice or be upset and they continued on their date. She's pretty excited and is thinking she's at least scored a second date when he walks her to the subway and starts talking about the other blonde from the bar. Who does this??? This scenario is similar to about a half dozen dates I've been out on.

Then I had a good friend tell me about an experience with her boyfriend that bordered on domestic abuse. It's not my place to write too much more on this topic. But violence is bad and no means no.

What really capped off the evening was watching a married man with 17 month old twin boys try and make out with one of my best friends. While we were out last night we met some friends of friends and all started talking. I assumed this one guy wasn't married since he wasn;t wearing a wedding room. Then I find out he IS married. Okay I think, he and his wife must be the type of people who don't wear wedding rings. But I was wrong-- as my friend is screaming at him for not wearing his ring which he "forgot to put it back on after the gym" he takes the ring out of his pocket and puts it on his finger. Now, that's wrong. It's one thing if you just don't wear your ring often. It's a complete different story when you consciously take it off because you are out at a bar with friends and want to hit on women. It was clear this guy was completely drunk-- but I did all I could not to punch him in the face as he keeps hugging my friend (and me for the matter) and then starts kissing her. Eventually I said we were leaving to get food, thinking he would get the picture, but instead he just followed. It wasn't until we were out on the street and I screamed very loudly "YOU need to go home to your wife and children and she needs to come with me."


I'll try not to be too jaded, but I guess not going on dates, not having a boyfriend and not having anyone ever approach you in a bar has it's pluses when you hear stories like this...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home