Sam's Space

Random thoughts and experiences about navigating life in New York City.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Sick Animals

Those of you who know me well, know that I do not like animals or children and I am not afraid to admit it. I steer clear from animals whenever possible.

My mom had a dog when I was really little and had to put it to sleep and never wanted another animal. Now don't get me wrong, I never harmed an animal. In fact, I was the best pet sitter on my block! But I still never have the urge to touch an animal if I am in the park or walking down Park Avenue.

Well in the last few months that all changed. I really enjoyed playing with Erin's kitty and my brother recently got the cutest teacup yorkie ever. (And I swear, I didn't just like him cause he was originally a NYC doggie!)

I also seem to be surrounded by people who want to share doggie stories. And unfortunately, they are not all happy ones. From Erin's first sick kitty to Ana's dog's emergency surgery, it seems like sickness was everywhere. My neighbors were mourning the loss of their golden retriever this fall as well.

And as much as I tried, I could never really understand being so upset over an animal because I never had the experience of bonding too closely with pet. Unfortunately, that all changed today. My mom sent me an email saying that my brother and sister-in-law had to put their dog Yogi to sleep and I am feeling really sad.

Yogi was an interesting dog. They only had him since October...they took him in after a friend had to get rid of him. He wasn't very old and only 4 pounds! And yes many of you would call him ugly. But he was cute ugly. http://www.dustinandkatie.com/gallery/house/TheDog_Yogi/slides/CRW_5257.Yogi.10.23.2005.html And even though he threw up all the time and got tired after doing only one lap around the house and was always cold, he really was the sweetest cutest dog. My mom even invited the dog over to our house on Xmas! And I think I was really close to convincing them to get a dog as well.

So needless to say, I only playedwith this doggie a few times and I am saddened by the loss :-(

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home