Sam's Space

Random thoughts and experiences about navigating life in New York City.

Sunday, August 26, 2007

The Worst Part

The worst part of breaking up, isn't always the break up. It's often the aggravation of having to jump back into the dating game feet first. Being 'between boyfriends', as I like to call it, means playing the awful dating game. Before my last relationship, I went on some pretty awful dates. Thinking about having to endure that pain again is almost as depressing as being dumped.

Let's see... we had the cop named Ralph who threw up when we left the bar. Yes, laugh all you want...Ralph ralphed! (Unfortunately, this wasn't the first time a guy has thrown up on a date with me. I am beginning to get a complex.)

Then we had another guy who after one date was engaging in dirty phone talk. That put him on the fast track to not ever being seen again.

A few years ago I even invited a guy I had been on a few dates with to my old roommates birthday party where he proceeded to try and pick up other girls while he was out with me. To add insult to injury, he had driven into the city from Jersey and was planning on spending the night. He got so drunk I couldn't put him in his car and chance him driving drunk....so he spent the night (his last) on my couch.

And we must not forget the only guy to ever take me on a date on Long Island. First date was great. Then halfway through the second date over dinner he asks me how I think things are going. I looked at him puzzlingly for clarification and he confirmed he meant how are things going with us. I gave a diplomatic answer about how I thought things were going well but it was still early. Then I threw the ball back in his court and asked how he thought things were going...to which he replied "I'm trying to figure out if I want to date you or just be your friend." (Which is not the thing you want to hear in the middle of a date you were really enjoying.) We finished dinner and even went to a movie. Afterwards, he walked me to my car and said he hates not knowing the resolution of things like this, so he would call me either way (gee, thanks). A few days later I got a phone call in which he shared that he decided we shouldn't see each other again.

I don't go on that many dates, so to have this many bad ones is a little alarming!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home