Sam's Space

Random thoughts and experiences about navigating life in New York City.

Monday, August 06, 2007

A Very Yankee Weekend



Friday marked one of my last Friday night Yankee home games of the season with my old roomie. We've been sharing a ticket pack for the last three years. And let me tell you, if the walls of Yankee stadium could talk, boy would you get an earful!
Girl's night at the baseball stadium has always had lots of memories for us. We stalk ex friends and talk about anything and everything, regardless of the children in earshot.
Since Saturday was my old roomie's birthday, I knew (from her numerous hints) that I had to put her name on the Happy Birthday board. To my surprise, it's really inexpensive...just $10. And even though we had to wait for the second round of birthday messages, we had a lot of fun waiting to see her name.
Unfortunately, while I was there on Friday, A-rod did not hit his 500th. Lucky for my friend, her boyfriend got her tickets for her actual birthday on Saturday and she was able to witness the record homer.
But that's not where our Yankee weekend ends. In fact, on Saturday night while out for my old roomie's bday, we actually had an A-rod sighting. He was having dinner in a restaurant across from the bar we were drinking at, so we strategically went outside the restaurant and waited for him to come out with a few other people. (When I mean few, I am talking 10 of us in total max...not a huge mob.)
My friends and I were all being very respectful while he signed autographs for a few guys. In fact, we didn't even shove a camera in his face to take his picture. Instead, we were polite and told him it was our friend's 25th bday today and asked him to take a picture. He replied in a monotone voice "happy birthday, I have to go now" and turned and walked away. Leaving us with nothing...but a photo of the back of his head (which I will post when my friend sends it to me). My friend took it in stride, shrugged it off and proclaimed "this is why Derek Jeter has always been my favorite."
I am sure some of you will think A-rod acted completely acceptable...but it was much ruder in person. Just the way he held himself and how he surveyed all of us from the doorway of the restaurant before coming out. We weren't disturbing his dinner, and there wasn't a mob of people. There were just a handful and he left us fans in the lurch. I've had the opportunity for my fair share of star sightings and this wasn't one to write home about. How much longer would it have taken to pose for a picture with the birthday girl who has been a Yankee fan for 25 years?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home