Sam's Space

Random thoughts and experiences about navigating life in New York City.

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

"It's A Small, Small World"

Wow, today was one of those days where you look back and kind of can't believe how the events of the day unfolded. They always say it's a small world, even in the city that is Manhattan. But sometimes, it's unbelievable how many people you bump into in one day. Yes, there are factors that increase your chances of seeing someone you know (i.e., being around Fordham), yet there still has to be an element of time that's on your side. Think about it. A few seconds difference in your path, and you may miss someone who just walked through the door or across the street.

I headed up to Fordham this evening for the last mentoring event (I should probably blog more about that someday) and as soon as I walked through the doors I pass my old coworker/friend Jessica. Yes, she is a grad student at Fordham now, but again, what are the chances that she's just gotten off the escalator as I am about to get on. If I stopped in the bathroom, or talked with security, our paths wouldn't have crossed. It was good to see her and chat for a little bit.

Obviously at the mentoring event I saw a bunch of the people I always see-- Matt, Antoinette, Amanda, Charlie, etc. On my way out, I had plans to meet up with my roommate Cheryl so we could walk home together. Instead of walking home though, she wanted to get Jamba Juice in Time Warner. So we start to head over towards Columbus Circle when I bump into this guy Brian who I haven't seen while. We have a mutual friend (Anthony). I hadn't spoken with/seen Brian since Anthony's xmas party in December. Well, that's sort of a lie. I saw Brian at the gym a few weeks ago, but he didn't notice me and I didn't say hello. Since I've been wondering how Anthony is doing, I stopped Brian and we chatted for awhile and exchanged business cards. Add another random encounter to my day.

Over at Whole Foods, Cheryl and I bump into two of her law school friends and sit down for a bit. The second we leave, I bump into my dance teacher from NYSC who had just finished teaching a class at Equinox Gym. Now, as I blogged about before, I love Power Dance-- mostly because of the fabulous teacher. I've been taking his class at least once a week for about 3 months. He is very nice to everyone, but it's obvious that there are a bunch of the people in his class who he is really close with-- hugging, kissing, chatting, etc. I'm pretty quiet and not going to jump up and down for attention. He's always nice to me, but he and I have never really bonded, until tonight that is. I waved and he stopped right away and chatted with Cheryl and I for about 35 minutes! I explained to him how he knows my third roommate from class and we all 3 of us talked about everything from class, to NYC, to his play, to my job, etc. Now, since we are practically on Fordham row, Craig walked by and said hello as did Amanda and Rob.

We finally say goodbye and continue on our way home. Right as we are approaching our corner, we bump into another Fordham grad a year older than me who apparently just moved into the area about a block away from us. How random an evening!

One more reason I just can't get enough of this city!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home