Sam's Space

Random thoughts and experiences about navigating life in New York City.

Monday, July 04, 2005

New Jersey: Not as bad as you think

As a girl from Long Island, it's my job to make sure NJ never looks better than LI. But with all the outer NYC rivalry aside, NJ can be a pretty cool place with the right people.

For the first time in years, I didn't spend 4th of July at home. It's been a yearly tradition that all of my high school friends and I get together for the holiday. We barbecue, take out my friend's boat, play volleyball on the beach, watch fireworks, etc. Although the actual events vary from year to year, the people don't. For the last few years, the significant others have been a part of the festivities as well. Plus, a few college friends always seem to get added to the mix. Last year my roommate Cheryl even joined us.

This year, I was trying to plan out my summer trips/long weekends and I immediately put aside the 4th of July as a weekend I would be home. Unfortunately, when I spoke with Karen she said she wasn't coming home and had other plans. She was breaking the tradition and she was the reason I would typically come home. (Although I love my other high school friends, being forced to deal with the ex and people I haven't spoken with all year without Karen, just didn't seem to be an option....the last few times at home with my hs crowd were really difficult and I wasn't about to waste my long weekend being miserable.)

So I decided to make other plans and spend the weekend in NJ with the lovely Erin Potts. And a fantastic weekend we did have. Aside from the traffic, the weekend was perfect. We went to the beach, went in her pool, ate at my two favorite NJ places (Champps and Panera Bread), saw TWO great fireworks shows, watched Live 8 on tv, etc.

A weekend in NJ wouldn't be complete without an evening spent with Erin's family. Her mom barbecued and prepared a fantastic dinner on Sunday night. Erin, her sister, father and I all played badmitton before dinner. After the fireworks show we had dessert and played "Spoons". It's always great to enjoy a dose of suburban bliss every now and then.

Plus, did you know that southern Jersey radio stations really like to play Will Smith's "Getting Jiggy With It"? Erin and I perfected the car dance to this song this weekend.

But as with every vacation, "what happens in Jersey, stays in Jersey". So that's all I can share about my weekend away!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home