Sam's Space

Random thoughts and experiences about navigating life in New York City.

Saturday, June 25, 2005

Ed Burns Movie Marathon

After my day of shopping and my Dippin’ Dots snack, I wanted to stop at the video store and pick up some movies. I had just rented “Meet the Fockers” last week and knew there weren’t any other new releases out I wanted to see. So I cruise the comedy section and after twenty minutes finally pick up “Sidewalks of New York”. Then I pick up “She’s The One” and realize that tonight would be an Ed Burns movie marathon.

Ed Burns is great. He writes, directs and stars in these movies. (And clearly he is obsessed with sex, a central theme of both these movies.)

“She’s The One” was only okay. A fair romantic comedy taking place in NYC. I don’t know why I didn’t like it, but it didn’t really hold my interest. I did get through the whole thing which means it wasn’t that bad. I'm notorious for not finishing a movie after I start watching it if I am disinterested.

However, “Sidewalks of New York” was fabulous. The IMDB tagline says it all...

In a city of 8 million people, what are the odds the perfect two will meet?

Synopsis:

Six New Yorkers have an interrelated series of relationships. TV producer Tommy, who's just broken up with his girlfriend, has a short relationship with commitment-phobe Maria, who he meets in a video store, and also hooks up with married real-estate agent Annie, who he meets while apartment hunting. Annie is open to a relationship because her husband, Griffin, is cheating on her, which she slowly comes to realize through talking to her friend/co-worker who's gone through the same thing. Griffin, a 39-year-old dentist, is cheating with 19-year-old waitress Ashley, who he picked up in a park; she realizes she can do better when Ben, a hotel doorman and aspiring musician, tries to pick her up, in a belated attempt to recover from his divorce a year ago from schoolteacher Maria (the same Maria from the video store). Most of these relationships seem driven more by a desperate need to be in a relationship than actual love.


Heather Graham in this movie is sooooooooooooo me. I just hope I don’t ever marry a guy who will cheat on me.

These were some of my favorite quotes from the move:

  • “Nothing heals a broken heart like a brand new piece of booty.”
  • “I just think its weird that there is this person out there just walking around leading their life and then you met them at a bar and 2 or 3 hours later you have his penis inside you. I just think that’s a little scary.”
  • “Men are like a disease and most of us have already been infected. And as far as I can tell, there’s no cure.”
  • “Is this understanding with you and your wife, or you and your dick.”
  • “How many people do you have to screw in order to realize you can get laid.”
  • “Is it love or sex that makes us feel confused in our relationships…Maybe it’s the love of sex that screws us up.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home