Sam's Space

Random thoughts and experiences about navigating life in New York City.

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Been Caught Doing Good Lately?

In honor of my stepdad's birthday this week, and the fact that he is in the hospital recovering from surgery, I share with you a story he told me last weekend.

He was "caught being good at Pathmark." Since my dad has retired, he has taken up more household duties. He cooks, cleans, shops, etc. So while he was on a routine weekly shopping trip at our local Pathmark, he saw a worker trying to had one of those porch swing seat sets from above the freezers to the another worker to put on the floor. (Note, I am talking about those really big two-seater porch swings fully assembled from high above the freezer section where they store these items.)

Well, clearly, as you're thinking, how can one employee grab this huge item from above his head all alone. So my dad is watching this and he goes over to help the guy lower the sing set from the other end and put it on the ground.

At which point, a manager comes running over to thank my dad and hand him a coupon for his order. Now, you're talking about a fifty-something year old man, retired due to a heart condition, with one more week to go before undergoing another major surgery, who felt the need to go over and help these employees who clearly didn't think ahead to know that this was a job for more than two people-- and what did he get? $1 dollar off his order.

I do think that this is a great program Pathmark has implemented. Recognizing their shoppers and providing incentive for good deeds. But really, how many people do you think are really caught being good at Pathmark? I'd bet you'd find more people eating while they shop and never paying, than people actually doing good.

So while I don't want to criticize Pathmark for this initiative which I think is pretty cool, I just wonder if they could spare more than $1.00 off your order. Even if the coupons come in $1.00 dollar increments, don't you think this warranted more than $1.00 off an entire order? I mean, what can you actually buy at the supermarket for $1.00? A can of peas. A chocolate bar. I don't shop very often and everything in NYC is more expensive anyway. Needless to say, had my dad gotten hurt helping out, that could have potentially cost Pathmark more than $1.00.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home