Sam's Space

Random thoughts and experiences about navigating life in New York City.

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Pretty Pink Pod

There are so many examples of bad customer service in this world, that I feel compelled to share a story of great customer service...

Three weeks ago while on vacation, I had my ipod plugged in over night and it never took a full charge. In fact, it didn't charge at all. So all the way home, I had no ipod and I was freaking out about what was wrong with it.

I contemplated all the worst case scenarios...paying for a new battery, buying a replacement, etc. And I knew I had it more than a year and assumed it was no longer under warranty. A week or so later, I finally bring it to the Apple store on Long Island (I couldn't bare to deal with the Soho Apple store). Before I left for the store I plugged the serial number into the Apple web site and to my pleasant surprise learned that I had indeed purchased the extended warranty. In fact, it all came back to me. Me standing on line thinking about all the times I would drop my cd player on the treadmill and after the salesman told me I had tech support, I was sold. This was probably the best purchase I ever made.

So, as I approach the "genius bar" at the Apple store I prepare myself for the worst. Will they send my ipod away to be fixed, would I have to pay money for it, etc. To my surprise, I had nothing to worry about. I explained to the guy that it wasn't charging, confirmed I had a protection plan and he told me he just had to "switch it out." He has a box and I am thinking, okay, my ipod is being sent away to be fixed. I ask how long it will take and he says, just a minute. Then I think, oh, maybe he just needs to put in a new battery. When he finally gets the box open, I realize that inside the box is a brand new hot pink Apple ipod exactly matching my own mini but without all the scratches.

At this point, the guy really thinks I am crazy. I say to him with a puzzled look on my face, "you mean, I get this one, for free, with no scratches?" And he says yes, that is why you have a protection plan. Yes, that is why I have a protection plan. And hopefully you do too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home