Sam's Space

Random thoughts and experiences about navigating life in New York City.

Sunday, July 17, 2005

Another Softball Loss

Thursday was hot. Worse than hot. Disgustingly humid is more like it. My bandaid on my knee wouldn't stay on. And the sweat from the catcher's mask was dripping down my face into my eyes (hot visual, right?)

The innings were pretty long. But as we recorded another loss in the books, we also recorded another great time with friends. We were missing many of our regular people and everyone was playing different positions than they are used to. However, with the small number of people, most of us were able to play the whole game which was nice.

I really don't want the season to end. I am definitely not a great athlete, but I see myself improving the more I play. Once the season ends, i'm going to be out of the softball habit and next summer will have to start back at the beginning again.

Very much like high school gym, I was never at the top of the class, but never at the bottom either. Aside from hockey. I kicked major ass in middle school floor hockey. Too bad they never let us play in high school because too many injuries happened.

One semester in gym class we played volleyball for months. In the beginning I sucked. I couldn't serve and the ball always hurt my wrists. But as time went on and I played more and more, I eventually got the hang of it. Just as I am with softball. My throwing and catching is improving and I think my batting is becoming a little more consistant as well.

After the game a bunch of us went to Lincoln Park for food and drinks. While we were there we watched the Yankees beat the Red Sox (woohoo!). It was fun spending time with some of my teammates that I don't know that well. I hope a lot of the same people will play again next year.

PS: You should come out to a game. We have a few more left. They are fun to watch and we could always use a few more cheerleaders.

Plus, watching me bat is quite a comical sight! I realized that I dance while at the plate. Well, not really dance, but I shake my butt. I get so nervous and have so much anxious energy when I am at bat that the only way I can focus and do my best to hit the ball is if I contain all the energy in one spot. That spot seems to be my butt. I just shake it back and forth until I make contact with the ball. :-) Everyone has their routine. Maybe this will be my signature stance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home