Sam's Space

Random thoughts and experiences about navigating life in New York City.

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

To Grad School, or Not To Grad School

For years I have thought about getting my MBA. Two years ago I started my research, last year I applied for a pre-MBA program and this year I took a few classes. I am at a turning point now though. Do I finish studying for the GMATs, take the test and officially submit my application, or do I postpone balancing work and grad school longer or forever?

The impetus for me applying to the pre-MBA program and taking some classes is a little ironic in itself. It was last summer/fall and I felt like my life was almost perfect. I had everything I needed and wanted (except a guy of course) and thought focusing my energy on advanced education would be a good idea, especially since I felt I finally had the time to balance it.

Right around the time I got my acceptance letter for the pre-MBA, I started seriously dating someone. Needless to say, the time I did have available for class (outside of work, softball, volunteering, seeing friends, etc.) was now shortened even more. But in true Sam spirit, I wasn't going to not take classes just because I had met someone.

I took a class last spring and it was great. Teacher was amazing, time commitment outside of class minimal, workload manageable -- it was fabulous. Got an A and signed up for another class for the summer.

However, my summer class couldn't be more different than my first experience back in the classroom. The teacher is extremely difficult to follow, the material is dry and hard to understand, there was a huge group project and my heart didn't seem to be into it. Granted there was a lot going on in my life to make this even more difficult to manage, but the experience made me start to second guess my decision.

If I get accepted into a part-time program, and enroll, I will not let myself drop out. I need to be sure of my decision before I jump in head first. The program I am interested in is pretty rigorous and while many of the classes are on topics I am genuinely interested in, there are those mandatory business classes that are going to be challenging. I will be required to take 6 classes a year (2 per semester) in order to graduate in the 5 year allotted time period and I will only consider going part-time because my salary is such at this point in my career that I refuse to give that up.

My reasons for grad school all make sense:

1) I truly believe an MBA will help advance my career in the future. Maybe not at my current job, but definitely where I see myself in 10 years. Plus, it's always been a dream of mine and something I have wanted to accomplish.

2) Sometimes I think I might want to start my own non-profit down the line or at least work at
one. I've read a lot that the best non-profits are those that are run like businesses and an MBA will give me that business background. Not to mention, sometimes I think I might want to open my own business when I am older. I have always thought it would be super cool to own a flower shop. What could be more delightful that creating beautiful bouquets all day long.

3) Teaching part-time undergraduate communications courses has been another thing I would like to do in the future and these days, even adjunct professors are expected to have a Master's, so I might as well pursue the Master's I am interested in. Then when I am older or retired, I can make some extra cash teaching at a local university.

However, the balancing of work, life and school has definitely taken its toll. It's going to be a grueling 5 years if I decide to do it. Part of me knows there is no way I can't at least try...but the real question now is timing. Is the time right, right now? Or do I wait another year or so before starting a part-time program?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home