Sam's Space

Random thoughts and experiences about navigating life in New York City.

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

According to the Wall Street Journal...

For those of you who know me well, you know I love skirts. I love skirts so much that I have about 40 different ones. I could probably go about 2 months at work without repeating a skirt. Many people don't understand this. In fact, I don't even know if I understand it. But it's what I am comfortable in and what I feel most confident wearing. So it's not suprising that skirt sales jumped 9% in the 12 months ending in November 2004. I think my shopping habits had a direct effect on this economic boost.

Skirts Go Wider

Last Year: Full skirts
This Year's Twist: Even fuller skirts

Skirts haven't been this hot since the 1960s, when the mini and the midi first made headlines. Skirt sales jumped 9% in the 12 months ending in November 2004, according to NPD Group. That's more than double the rate of growth for the rest of the women's clothing business.
The most prevalent new look is the very full skirt, which falls right below the knee. It was center stage at last fall's runway shows (when spring designs are first shown), especially at Marc Jacobs and French design house Lanvin. Reflecting the broader trend toward Bohemian chic, designers are also taking skirts down, nearly to the ground, and pairing them with flat sandals for a casual look.
"The tiered skirt was just beginning last spring, but now there is a version at every [price] level," says Sue Patneaude, executive vice president of designer apparel at Nordstrom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home