Sam's Space

Random thoughts and experiences about navigating life in New York City.

Thursday, June 09, 2005

The Rams Win....The Rams Win....THE FORDHAM RAMS WIN!

The Fordham Alumni softball team won its first game today against an undefeated team, final score 3-1. We were playing with a much smaller squad and rotated positions a little bit, including trying a new pitcher. All in all we had a strong showing. We still struggled getting runs on the board, but there were no errors and our defense was strong-- ensuring we didn't have too many runs scored against us.

Patty commanded the mound and threw her share of strikes. It seemed as though all the balls were being hit to Jason out in left field and time after time (at least 7) he successfully caught the ball for an out. Kevin continued batting and fielding well. He saved my ass when I was playing short-center and never even attempted to catch a ball in my area. But I made up for it when I was placed back at my preferred catching position. I even caught a foul tip off a batter. To quote Brian, I leaped like I had "a stick of dynamite in my ass!" Speaking of Brian, he made no errors at first and had a few nice hits throughout the game.

My first at bat was going foul when the third baseman caught the ball and secured the out. I have no clue where I hit the ball when I got up next, I just know it was enough to get me on base and the other team erred and over threw advancing me to second and Ron to third while the score was still tied 1-1 and there were no outs. Again, I couldn't even tell you who was up next, but they hit the ball hard and far enough for Ron (with a bum knee) and I, (who can't run for my life) to come home. I did catch a break, the other team threw the ball to second to get the batter out so there was no contest for me to easily score...but I was ready, man was I ready to take out the pitcher covering home plate if I needed to. Those two runs in the sixth clinched the win for the Rams!

Next Game: Thursday, June 16th, Central Park...followed by Third Thursday Happy Hour at the Gin Mill

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home