Sam's Space

Random thoughts and experiences about navigating life in New York City.

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Today I Became a Princess

Well, no. Not really.

But I did get my first crown. And no, I am not talking about a platinum and diamond tiara for me to display on my head-- I am talking about a porcelain faux tooth that will live forever in my mouth.

Do people ever blog about the dentist? I guess there is a first time for everything. And since I do work in the oral care industry, toothpaste, gums, teeth, whitening, dentists, etc., are what I talk about all day!

So I was definitely nervous about today's appointment, but ironically I am very intrigued by the whole process. My dentist had given me a temporary crown a few weeks ago and I spent over a week sore and in pain. So I told my dentist I was a little worried about how he was going to get the temporary out since it seemed to be in there pretty good. He assured me that with a little tug it would painlessly come out. I tried to believe him, but I've believed dentists before and been painfully surprised. Of course, I accept his offer of novacaine. I mean c'mon, I live the riskless life and there was no way I was going to start this morning and risk being in even more pain.

So he gave me some sharp shots and told me to chill while I numb up. That's one of the most relaxing times. I mean, those chairs all reclined and back are pretty comfortable when you're not worrying about gagging and drilling. So as I crank up the ipod (doctor's orders), I relaxed for the first time in 3 weeks!

And when he came back, one extremely gentle tug later, the temporary was out. The only scary part was when he went to get the crown from the other room and realized the lab mislabeled the two crowns they made on the same day. So my dentist had the wrong one and had to go retrieve the right one.

The weirdest part is the crown pretty much snaps into place. Like a little pressure and click it's in. My dentist had to keep putting it in and taking it out to make some minor adjustments....then came the cement and click it was in for good. And to top it off, he put some medication under the crown to make me less sensitive and hopefully control the pain I had been in with the temporary. So far so good!

For someone who despises seeing any doctor, I've come to terms with the dentist after enough visits each year, I have no choice but to suck it up and deal. Then again, it's my job to protect this million dollar smile :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home